Top Ten Tips for Online Publishing Success
Judy Cullins c. 2004
Use the checklist below to make sure your article, tip, or book
excerpt will get published and make you a household name on the
1. Does the title grab you and include a benefit? Make sure it
is clear, but clever and clear is great.
2. Does the opening grab your attention? How? You need a hook in
your short 1-3 sentence introduction. A shocking fact, drama, or
question about where your audience is, their challenge.
3. Avoid starting sentences with "This is, there is, She is/was."
Avoid passive construction such as: have, is, was, seems, appears.
Replace "Judy is a book coach" with Book coach, Judy Cullins,
digs her client's buried treasure (their words) up to make their
books saleable gems. Aim for only 2-4% passives. Use strong, action
4. Punch up those sentences. Instead of "people who are assertive
are willing to stand up for themselves," say, "Assertive
people stand up for themselves."
5. Reduce general words. Replace them with specifics that are more
compelling to the reader. Instead of "saves you time,"
use "saves you 10 hours a week, so you can finally take that
vacation to that Caribbean island."
6. Shorten all sentences for Online reading. Did you know that
15-17 words per sentence is standard? Over that number the sentence
is "difficult?" We write differently for Online because
we are busy people who want information fast!
7. Use the present or past tense instead of "would have"
and other passive forms. These verb forms help your article's clarity
and give punch to it.
8. Show, don't tell. Instead of saying this book helps you to a
healthy life, say after you read my book, you will have "leap
out of bed energy."
9. Reduce the use of adjectives and adverbs. Avoid all -ly adverbs.
Make your nouns and verbs describe. Use the senses of sight, sound,
emotions, touch. Instead of "Suddenly, she yelled at Tom,"
just say," She opened the front door and yelled at Tom."
10. Discuss only one point per article to help you write focused,
compelling copy for the rest. Check out your article's thesis. What
question does your article answer?
Remember, for opt-in ezine publishers to take your article and
spread the good word about you, you need to submit a quality, well-edited
article that will wow them.
For more information about writing, books, and publishing click here.
If you would like to receive updates and information about Judy Cullins' Free Articles or other online publications, please subscribe below:
Note: You may Freely publish any of my articles as long as you include the signature box below.
Book and Internet Marketing Coach, Judy Cullins, can help you build credibility and clients, sell a lot of books, and make maximum profits. Author of 11 books including Write your eBook or Other Short Book Fast and The Fast and Cheap Way to Explode Targeted Web Traffic" Get her free eBook"20 High Octane Book Writing and Marketing Tips" and two free monthly ezines at http://www.bookcoaching.com